Founded in 1905 as the St. Vincent’s Hospital Training School for Nurses by the Daughters of Charity and known for decades as the School of Nursing, St. Vincent’s College has graduated generations of nurses and other allied health professionals.
The original hospital and school grounds, built on the Hawley Farm just above the last trolley stop, featured a beautiful rose garden as well as a large vegetable garden to help feed patients. During the early years of the school, student nurses lived in the hospital and worked incredibly long hours to meet the health needs of the growing industrial city. In 1915, a separate nursing residence was opened. By the end of the 1920’s there were still three sheep on the grounds.
Over the following decades the School’s curriculum incorporated learning about the steady stream of medical and technological developments. From early advances in Lab Science and Radiology to the latest computers, scanners and fiber optic scopes that have revolutionized medicine, St. Vincent’s College has prepared students for careers in healthcare and served as a resource for the entire community.
In the post-war years when life returned to normal, the School of Nursing formed the first of its associations with local colleges. The 1960’s brought many social and cultural changes, including new roles for women. Throughout the 70’s and 80’s the School expanded its academically based curriculum to keep pace with new advances in medicine.
In 1991, the School was officially incorporated as St. Vincent’s College, ushering in a new era of growth. Over 4,500 alumni represent radiographers, cardiovascular technologists, medical assistants, nurses and others healthcare professionals. St. Vincent’s College is recognized today as a leader in quality health science education. The College is strongly committed to serving the healthcare needs of the community by offering a wide range of educational programs to a diverse student population. Graduates are highly sought after by employers in a variety of practice settings throughout the region.