Important dates in the history of St. Vincent’s College.
St. Vincent’s Hospital Training School for Nurses admits its first class. A nation of immigrants builds its first hospitals and begins training nurses.
The first Commencement is held at Loews Poli Theater in downtown Bridgeport on June 28, 1908.
The first Nursing Residence was opened. Prior to that time students lived and worked in the hospital.
The School of Nursing Building, Nurses Homes and new auditorium in the beginning of the post-war years.
4th Annual Rose Garden Ceremony.
Tuition in 1954 took a jump to $206.00 a year.
During the 1950’s, St. Vincent’s was listed among the leading nursing schools in the country with an enrollment of over 200.
The 60’s would bring large social and cultural changes that challenged the traditional roles of women.
Anelia Kerbelis, named first lay woman, Director of the School of Nursing.
The School launched its innovated 23 month Nursing Program.
Last graduating class of the Evening Division of the School of Nursing.
President Anne T. Avallone and Governor Lowell Weicker sign an act authorizing the College to award Associate Degrees, completing the transition from School of Nursing to St. Vincent’s College. First Associate Degrees in Nursing awarded.
First Associate Degrees in Radiography awarded.
Continuing Education Office established for certificate programs.
Dr. John K. Fisher installed as President, St. Vincent’s College.
Dr. Martha K. Shouldis installed as President, St. Vincent’s College.
First Bachelor Degrees awarded in both Nursing and Radiologic Sciences.