The RN Refresher Program is designed to update the registered nurse who has been away from the acute care practice setting and who is looking to return to a staff position. This seven week (152 hour) program runs once per year in May and is divided into 28 hours of classroom theory, 28 hours of nursing skills lab, and 96 hours of clinical practicum conducted at St. Vincent’s Medical Center. The program will provide:
- Reinforcement of previous nursing knowledge as it relates to the nursing process and clients in the acute care setting with varied health issues and acuity levels.
- Current therapeutic practices, advances and technology in the acute care setting.
- Hands-on practicum in nursing skills lab and acute care clinical setting.
Theory & laboratory classes will be held at St. Vincent’s College. Clinical laboratory will be held at St. Vincent’s Medical Center. The program is open to applicants who hold a current CT RN License. Questions about the program should be directed to the Continuing Education Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-576-5651. Or register on our home page for the upcoming RN Refresher Information Session on February 4, 2015.
What Student’s Are Saying About The RN Refresher Course:
“I applied to many positions online and was interviewed by two employers in July and received two job offers. Both employers made mention of the fact that I had done the refresher course and stated it was a factor in my being considered. I accepted an offer for a full-time position and am working as an RN in a large internal medicine practice (there are 7 physicians and one nurse practitioner). I started at the beginning of September. I am glad to have been able to do the RN Refresher as I believe it is the only one approved by the CT Department of Public Health that has clinical hours included. I am also grateful to the instructors for providing references for me as I know that was also a factor in being hired. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be working again as I had been out of the workforce for 17 years; I do not think it would have been possible for me to be obtain employment without the RN Refresher course.” from Stacey
“You may have heard that St. Vincent’s hired me for a position! Everyone has been so nice, and I am finding out more each day that it is truly a special place to work. None of this would have been possible if you had not accepted me into the refresher course. Thank you and I have been blessed by your support!” from Colleen
Upon completion of the RN Refresher Program, the nurse will:
- Identify appropriate assessment techniques and diagnostic studies for the major body systems.
- Demonstrate an understanding of geriatric implications in disease processes and pharmacological interventions, nutrition and health preventative measures related to disease processes.
- Demonstrate an understanding of geriatric implications in disease processes and pharmaco-therapeutic treatment modalities.
- Utilize the nursing process, critical thinking, evidence based practice and pathophysiologic concepts to develop nursing diagnoses and plan of care for clients.
- Apply teaching-learning principles to promote optimum health and development in clients with healthcare issues.
- Online Application
- Official College Transcripts
- Proof of current official CT RN License
- Current CPR certification
- Verification of Malpractice Insurance
- Health Clearance
- Background Clearance Check